Sunday, March 11, 2012

Preparation to Break Ground

It has been an amazing week in and around CURA, as well as an eventful weekend in Nairobi.  I spent most of the week hiring my labor force as well as meeting with local material suppliers.  I am finding things move at a much slower pace here in Kenya than back home but we aren't letting anything get in the way of breaking ground this Thursday.  With the start of the rainy season fast approaching, I am eager to excavate and finish the foundation before the rains mess with our site and work schedule.

I had the pleasure of enjoying Tea friday evening at the beautiful home of Mike and Evelyn Eldon, the founders of the CURA Orphanage, in Nairobi.  I also had the pleasure of meeting Ty Strickler, a filmmaker from Los Angeles, who will be here for this week focusing on the CURA Orphanage and the construction of the secondary school for a documentary he is filming.  You can follow his journey at http://tystrickler.blogspot.com/

Saturday evening around 8 o'clock  when I was downtown Nairobi there was a bombing at a bus station outside town. Luckily I was far from the danger but it is a reminder that I should always be careful while here.  You can read the story courtesy of the BBC here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17326086 

On my return to CURA this afternoon I brought a football that I had picked up at a supermarket over the weekend.  It was the best $13 I have ever spent.  The kids and I had so much fun playing in the field.  All the kids were in their Sunday best and the red Kenyan dust was in the air while everyone crowded around the two goals made out of trees cut less than 100 meters away.  Hopefully I can get some pictures from Ty to show you because I was having way to much fun to bother with such things.  

I can't wait for Thursday and to officially begin the construction of this school.  It is a very exciting time for everyone here.  


No comments:

Post a Comment