Friday, March 23, 2012

Week 1 of Construction

It has been a eventful week since we had the groundbreaking ceremony last Thursday.  We have succeeded in excavation the foundation and preparing all the steel reinforcement for the foundation.  We would have had the foundation walls poured by now however the water tank that was supposed to be delivered and installed tuesday wasn't delivered until last night. I just finished getting a nosel fitted for the tank and have arranged to have this 10,000 lt bad boy as well as the 3 in the orphanage and the 25,000 lt water tower for the church and school filled so that we have all the water we need for concrete pours next week.



On a completely different note, this Sunday is my birthday! I am heading to Nairobi to spend the weekend with a longtime childhood friend, David Keaney who has been on a backpacking trip in Kenya and Tanzania and will be flying home on Monday. I'm stoked to be able to spend the weekend with a friend from home.

A couple people have asked me about sending care packages for my birthday but I honestly have everything I need right here.  If you really want to give me something special, take the time to donate any amount of money, big or small to Construction For Change so they can continue to enable people like me to make a difference all over the world.  Also think about adopting a child at Cura Orphanage. For $1000per year you can adopt a child that parentless because of the affects of the AIDS epidemic here in Kenya.  I think it is crazy that for less than 3 dollars a day, you can cover the costs of a child's food, clothing, shelter and schooling.  I know I sound like an sad advertisement on TV but honestly, until you see what a difference such a small amount of money can make in helpless child's life, you don't relise how big of an impact you can have.  The money goes straight to the children and the home, not a penny is wasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment